Vision Insurance can prove to be very helpful to individuals who need to get regular eye exams or require vision correcting equipment. Individuals of any age can significantly benefit from vision insurance. It is necessary to understand what is and is not covered under vision insurance, however.
What Does Vision Insurance Cover?
Every vision insurance policy will prove to be different depending upon the company and the coverage you choose. Some basic benefits are included within every policy; however, it is vital to make sure that the policy you select at least covers the information listed below.
- Eye Examinations: Annual vision exam, with co-pays ranging between $10-$20.
- Eyeglass Frames: Often offered in the form of an ‘allowance,’ which is how much the insurer will pay, eyeglass frame discounts range between $125-$150 depending on the provider.
- Lenses for Eyewear: Typically, out-of-pocket costs for standard lenses are a co-pay ranging between $20-$30, with benefits available once annually.
- Contact Lenses: Payouts for contacts averages between $100-$150, depending on the policy.
- Vision Correction Procedures: Many providers will offer some type of discount or coverage for vision correction surgeries. The amounts will vary, but they average around $500 max payout.
What Does Vision Insurance NOT Cover?
Unfortunately, not everything is covered in all vision insurance policies. There are exclusions in all insurance policies, including vision insurance policies. It is important to note that what these policies do not cover is below.
- Eye Examinations: More than once a year.
- Eyeglass replacements: If you lose your glasses, policies will fund for another pair. However, some eyeglasses may have warranty insurance.
- Reading glasses: Pairs of regular reading glasses are generally not covered.
- Medical issues: Needing major eye surgery? Health insurance normally covers the costs.
Vision insurance is important for many individuals. Certain areas are covered by most providers, including one exam per year and eyeglasses. It is essential to find an affordable insurance coverage type that works for you and your family’s needs.